Wowzers. I’m overwhelmed by how many mommas are reaching out looking for next steps. So here are the first 5 things that I think you should stop purchasing. Took me plenty of research to get here. Hopefully it saves someone a little time.
If you suspect (even an unvoiced fear in the back of your head) that something is wrong – take action. These steps can be taken without tipping your hand. If you have a spouse or a family that is unsupportive of your suspicions or your doctor has yet to confirm or deny, you can still take these steps now. Even if you’re wrong, it will do nothing but good.
- Trust your instinct. Don’t doubt yourself. You have intuition for a reason. Trust it. I don’t care what the final “word” of diagnosis is. If something is wrong, take steps to make it better. Don’t get attached to a diagnosis, just work on healing. Trust your gut.
- Take stock of your diet. Really take stock. Have an honest conversation with yourself about what is realistic for you to accomplish for Phase 1 of diet change. It is harder with a larger household, so be gentle with yourself. Diet changes means whatever you commit to cutting – YOU DO NOT BUY. Don’t have it in the house. You will cheat. It’s too easy after a hard day and it’s not fair to either of you. Things to put on your list to avoid (at the pace you can live with but as soon as reasonably possible)
- Gluten (gluten is an opiate in the brain. For reals.) If you are already sensitive this can cause chaos. If you can’t cut 100% try to stop buying bread. Pretend you “forgot”. Stop buying crackers and chips. If you do buy it, please, please make sure it’s organic and GMO free. GMO’s are a WHOLE nother blog post. But they are nasty.
- Dairy (see opiate). We try to stick to no more than one organic portion of dairy per day. Too much dairy makes for crazy. If you do have dairy, it should ALWAYS be organic. Think about it. We store all toxins, poisons, and chemicals in our fat cells to protect our body. What is milk but the cow’s fat reserves? So every poison and toxin that it has been exposed to ends up in your cheese. Gross. That helps reduce your portions right there. Imagine the pesticides on the grass, hormones and antibiotics injected… Voila – Dairy free.
- Packaged foods. Stop buying chips, crackers, candy, cold cereal, packaged juices and “treats”. They are filled with artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and other nasty chemicals that freak the brain out.
- Soda. No excuse. Don’t buy it. Ever. Never. And if I hear you have Diet soda in your house I’ll drive over there right now with a big stick. No Diet Soda.
- Anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup or artificial Colors (look like a color with a number such as Red 40, Yellow 5, etc.)
So what do you eat?
- Fresh Organic fruit. We get a big bag of apples each week. The kids love it. Bananas are great too.
- Organic Carrots
- Organic almond butter (to dip carrots and apples in)
- Organic fruit juice, watered down at LEAST 50/50 with water (and only a couple of times a day).
- Fresh, raw almonds (assuming your kiddos are old enough).
- Organic brown rice – rice cooker is worth it’s weight in gold.
- Home made granola or organic granola or oatmeal
- Crock pot food! Chicken, roast, you name it. Kids love it. It’s easy. Reheats well.
Think what good habits you are teaching your family for life. Your kids will eat it. Don’t be scared. Amazing how quickly they adjust when junk food isn’t in the house.
Yes, it’s hard. Of course it is. But I recommend starting a health journal. When you start to see that things improve even slightly it will motivate you to continue on.
What are your “go to” health foods?
Much love to you.
Start Creating your Sunshine Life, Today!
p.s. – I cannot recommend highly enough the Isagenix nutritional products. My kids love them, they are proven extremely helpful for kids with ADD and Autism Spectrum and provide the complete nutrition needed for growing body and brain. You can click the link to the right or tab up above to learn more!