to Vaccinate, or not? yes, I’m going there.
OK, here’s deal. I’ve been asked this question a lot lately. Mostly young mom’s that want to do the right thing and are confused by the media, the controversy, their parents opinions, and their heart. SO here we go.
- THIS IS YOUR DECISION. This is a BIG decision. Don’t let anyone guilt you, or make you feel stupid, or out of control. This impacts the rest of your life. Your kids lives. Please, take more time to educate yourself about the options than you would buying a new vehicle, or accepting a new job. The consequences either way are not small and should not be blindly handed to a doctor any more than you’d hand a credit card to the Salesman at the car lot and say, “well, what do you think?” I mean no disrespect to doctors, they have their value. But this is your decision. Don’t hand it over to another person to make for you.
- Follow your gut. YOUR gut. Not your Moms or Dads or girlfriends or Doctor’s.
- Research. There is no easy way around it. You have to know the pros and cons so you can weigh which is most important to you and your children. All kids are not created equal. I highly recommend the National Vaccine Information Center website. They are a non-profit committed to education. Their are neither for nor against vaccines, but have a goal of educating. They recommend asking yourself 8 questions if you do decide to vaccinate (these are taken directly from their site and I highly recommend clicking the link above to learn more:
- Am I or my child sick right now?
- Have I or my child had a bad reaction to a vaccination before?
- Do I or my child have a personal or family history of vaccine reactions, neurological disorders, severe allergies or immune system problems?
- Do I know the disease and vaccine risks for myself or my child?
- Do I have full information about the vaccine’s side effects?
- Do I know how to identify and report a vaccine reaction?
- Do I know I need to keep a written record, including the vaccine manufacturer’s name and lot number, for all vaccinations?
- Do I know I have the right to make an informed choice?
- If you don’t know how to answer, or don’t understand the significance of the answer (why does it matter if your child is sick) then you need to do more research. The NVIC has some great links and resources.
- I also recommend the book Vaccines, by Dr. Sears. This link goes to his website and offers valuable information such as alternative vaccine schedules, options for international travel, side effects, and more details on the diseases that vaccines are supposed to be preventing. Shouldn’t you know what Polio or Measles are before you decide to avoid them? Shouldn’t you know the signs, and side effects to look for? Shouldn’t you know EXACTLY what is in the vaccine before it’s injected?
When you feel ready to have an educated conversation about vaccines, then you’re ready to make an informed decision for your family. Be confident in your decision and your knowledge. If your doctor does not support you, find a new doctor. Better to find out now that you’re on a different page.
If you do decide to vaccinate, you deserve to know the exact details, manufacturer and lot numbers. You have the right to get this information, go home, and Google it. You have the right to know which manufacturers use Mercury (they absolutely do) in infant vaccines. You have the right to request a certain brand name for any vaccine or flu shot. Don’t be SOLD. The lady working the counter at Walgreens does NOT CARE or research what is right for your child. Flu Shots are a money maker. It’s business. If you want to buy the car, then buy it, but don’t do it because someone told you to.
Do I vaccinate? NO. HELL NO. But I’ve read the data. I’ve looked behind the curtain and I don’t feel it’s a good decision for my family. But my kids are very sensitive. They are different than yours. I don’t judge those who do, and I love a good debate with an educated mom. We are ALL on the same team here. Loving our kids. Wanting the best for them.
It’s a big decision. Much love to you Mommas (and Daddies too).
Create Your Sunshine Life…Today