It’s been awhile… I’ve been digesting life. Slowly.
I wish I could tell my daughter things to make her life easier. I wish that I could sit down with her and catch her eye and she would hear me. Our relationship isn’t quite like that. She doesn’t enjoy eye contact and sitting still for more than 4 seconds is a very, very challenging task. So heart to hearts don’t come easy.
I wish I could tell her that it’s all about Love. Everything. Everywhere. We go through so many years of pain and drama over wishing people would love us, love us more, love us better. We change who we are, what we think, what we dream, so maybe people will love us more. We yell and scream and hurt others, because we’re AFRAID they don’t love us. We miss so much magic, and beauty, and wonder within ourselves while we’re trying to make sure someone sees us in our glory.
If I could just teach her she’s amazing, enough to fill her tank…. If she could find that confidence and love herself and her brilliant ideas and her frustrating quirks and worry less about the world …. it would be a sweeter life.
Yet, after 37 years of doing the same myself, it’s a hard habit to break. Schoolyard whispers still claw at the back of my thoughts, should I have said that? worn that? done that? I mean, I’m better than I used to be. After frantically asking myself several times I can usually actually remind myself that it doesn’t matter now. But the first voice is the one of doubt. How much practice it takes to change that. I wish, I could help her find that sweet voice while she’s young, and hear it first.
Because if you are truly comfortable with loving yourself to pieces, and you act from love towards others, what else is there?
Create your Sunshine Life – by Loving yourself to pieces first. xoxo
I use Facebook much differently than many people. The cool thing about FB is that it is smart and figures out what you look at, and brings more of that. I used to pay attention to the drama of people I knew decades ago, or the endless pictures of kids (which I still do) but now I use it more as an educational and inspirational tool for myself when I need a quick recharge.
Here are 5 of my favorite Facebook feeds – if you’re here, there’s a good chance you may also enjoy:
1. Healing ADHD & Aspbergers without Hurting – This woman is incredible. It’s a great feed to follow for ongoing recipes, tips, nutritional supplements and new studies. Hugely informative. If you look to the right there is a link to go straight to Amazon and purchase her amazing book.
2. Tut – Mike Dooley – Total uplifting, happy, lovely reminders of how wonderful it all is. Every messy moment.
3. Wake Up World – Great “news” feed for alternative news. Nutritional information, health suggestions, and new inventions to save the world. Wonderful perspective.
4. TED – Ted talks. Go there. Follow these beacons of hope. Take time to watch the talks, they range from 5 – 20 minutes and are always worth the time. Great place to reset, find perspective, be curious and fascinated with the world around you.
5. National Vaccine Information Center– I know it’s controversial. But it’s life. This site isn’t against vaccines so much as it’s pro-education. As with anything regarding my family’s health I always check multiple sources before believing anything. But it’s a great place to stay informed of the newest information.
And one to grow on. My favorite. Liz Gilbert. I love her because, well… she’s REAL. She’s a real person. She’s candid about life, hope, flaws and love. You may know her as the author of EAT, pray, Love. She’s also been touring with Oprah on the Life You Want Tour. She’s a cool cat and does her own posting on FB so it’s worthwhile. (oooh and her new book, the Signature of All Things is amazing!)
Enjoy. Spice up your time a the computer with a few things that make you grow. In knowledge, in love, in peace, in hope. And for heavens sake, hide those drama queens that make your stomach flop. (it’s really easy and they will never know you did it – just click the little arrow in the upper right corner of a post and it will drop down and ask if you would like to hide all posts from this person ).
Create your sunshine life, everywhere you look. Leave little traces of magic for yourself to find when you least expect it (Mike Dooley feed).
We haven’t had cable TV in about a year. It just was an excessive expense with the accident, and the chaos so we cut cable and occasionally rent a redbox or find a movie or documentary at the library. Which means, we don’t watch the news. Yes, that’s right folks. WE DO NOT WATCH THE NEWS. Proudly.
Now of course, if you know me at all, you know I’m an obsessive researcher. I research everything from vaccine statistics to healthy eating, leaky gut, nutrition profiles and genetic abnormalities (not to mention I could hold my own in a conversation with top neurologists about CSF leaks!). I research water shortages in California and kickstarter campaigns with salt water filtration systems and crazy impressive solar power. So it’s not that we’re out of touch with the world. We’re out of touch with the fear mongering.
Recently, my husband had this brilliant idea to get an antenna ($8 Amazon.com) so we could pick up local programming, the occasional guilty pleasure. Greys Anatomy or some fun cooking show. We were totally and completely unprepared for the wild advertising, consumerism and fear mongering. HOLY COW. You don’t really notice when you watch it every day, but after a break and some perspective it’s appalling!
A new drug to help with occasional depression but side effects include kidney failure and death… but look how happy we are now! New gadgets and gizmos that no one on this planet actually needs but it’s being shoved down our throat as they next thing to make life easier and it’s only $19.99. All I can see is how many will soon be in landfills once people realize it’s just one more gadget for their kitchen to find space for and use once a year.
The other day I turned on the tv to watch a documentary with the kids and in the two minutes it took me to switch over from tv to dvd, some daytime talkshow (like The View-although I’m not sure that’s what it was) was showing clips from YouTube about some baby laughing when its dad coughed. THIS IS DAYTIME TV? With all that is happening in the world, with a new 17 year old winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, with all of the amazing inventions to save the planet, with all of the beautiful wonderful things in our world – you are using TV time to show me silly clips of someone’s baby from the internet??? Even my 5 year old son looks up at the TV (as they replay the clip for the third time) “ya, ya, we got it. This is ridiculous mom”. My thoughts exactly. What a lazy, greedy, excuse to sell commercials and take up TV time.
As someone who spent a good portion of her career in corporate marketing and advertising, I have a fairly good handle on the how’s and why’s for television commercials and the subtle techniques used for a “win”.
Don’t even get me started about Ebola. Does no one else think it strange that there are no positive public service messages to strengthen your immune system? Wash your hands? Get enough sleep. Consider a daily probiotic (proven to increase strength of the immune system). Ebola doesn’t kill everyone it comes in contact with. Survivors typically had a strong immune system. No. It’s about creating fear. How scary it all is. How many people have died. How fast it is spreading. How the CDC has everything under control. No wait – maybe they don’t. It’s no big deal – but it is deadly. It’s a roller coaster of emotions that the public is being drug through. And that is as scary as anything else. What about some confidence, strength, education, leadership?
Down with the fear mongering. Don’t drink the kool-aid. Fear makes people stop thinking. It makes people stop trusting their own intuition. It gets people to hand over their power to someone else as it’s just too overwhelming to decide ourselves.
Lets lift each other up. Find strength, education, confidence. Talk to those whose opinion you value, and have an educated conversation, debate is ok – you don’t have to agree – the goal is to learn. And keep learning. Trust yourself.
Raise your vibration. How about believing in miracles? Faith doesn’t cost a thing.
Create your sunshine life. Ditch the fear. Be your radiant self instead. Learn something new that is beautiful about our world. And for heavens sake, turn off that fear machine.
xoxo ~ Clover Sunshine
Sooooooo, I’m nearly at the 11 month mark since the car accident. 11 months. I’ve spent the 36th year of my life on bedrest, and in hospitals, and in indescribable pain. Wow, what a journey.
I’ve learned some valuable lessons, OK that’s the understatement of the century. Each day is hard. It’s hard to wake up with a planet splitting headache and nausea, and god help me, please not the spins. But it’s a daily reminder to Dig Deep. Deeper. Find the strength. It’s there.
The thing about chronic illness (a word I despise) or pain or whatever terminology you choose… is that there is NO SPACE for self pity. None. Every morning there is a choice, it’s called “deal with it” or “cry” and so help me, when the crying starts….it’s hard to stop.
And there are some things that I think you can only learn when you’re digging deep. Because you (from a favorite Jerry Maguire quote) “Are Incapable of Dealing with Bullshit”.
Some of my most treasured lessons from my 36th year:
1. Whatever you think you absolutely “HAVE TO DO” you “cannot miss” they “cannot do it without you” – you’re wrong. You don’t. You can. They can. Truth. (Ahem mother’s out there, slow down and read it again). The world WILL keep spinning without you. Life will go on. There is absolutely NOTHING that cannot wait. Imagine if you will all those things that are deal breakers, that you must do for the world to keep spinning – then getting in a car accident and being stuck in bed for oh… nearly a year. Guess what? Everyone lived through it.
2. Slow Down. Like a snails pace, then slow down some more. I’m built with one speed, Fast. Multi-tasker extraordinaire. Over achiever. Always racing to the finish line. Drive fast. Cook fast. Clean fast. Shop Fast. It might be genetic.. because I’m SLOW compared to my mom! I’ve been rushing through everything and never knew it. Nothing slows you down like bedrest. It’s like a freakin anchor. So now I walk slowly with my 5 year old and we look at leaves and cracks in the sidewalk and bugs, without the nagging sense of hurry. When I shop, I move slowly and enjoy the experience. When my kids talk – I stop multi tasking and I Listen. I really listen to who they are and what they think. I don’t know that I ever really did that before. Not really, with the slowness it deserves.
3. Don’t judge. Anyone. Ever. For anything. It’s not your place. You have NO idea what they are going through. I have a whole post I can dedicate to this. But for now, trust me. When you leave your house, or get a phone call, or see something and you think “wow” and that little voice starts to judge. Just slap it. Send love to the person, double time, and a little to yourself as well.
4. Make time to meditate, pray, and journal. If you don’t have time, like really seriously don’t have time, then you need it most. Make it a priority as if it’s your life on the line (because it is). I believed in the power of prayer and the goodness of meditation and even thought it was a good idea to journal. But I never actually consistently DID IT. I never made time, I just thought about it and thought that was enough. IT’S NOT. Make 15 minutes a day for morning prayer, meditation, reflection and at least 10 minutes at bedtime. Conscious time, not lying in bed as you fall asleep. It will change your life. I promise. Feeling short of patience? Irritable? Pain? Anxiety? Isn’t it worth 20 minutes a day to try, rather than calling your doc for a prescription? Or worse, just living with it?
5. Be the Light. Find the Magic. Whatever you are going through, there is always someone going through more, dealing with “worse”. When you are teetering on self pity, just remember to be the light instead. Your light may shine for someone else who needs it, and that itself may give you the power to be strong. By being the light, you also start to find the magic. And it will pop up in unexpected places if you are moving slow enough to see it. The world is filled with love and hope and magic, but most of us are too busy rushing off to Target or judging what someone else is doing to notice. Stop reading the tragedies and gore on the news. Take a 21 day sabbatical. Fill your world with positive affirmations, love, peace and hope. Fill your Facebook feed with people who inspire you, HIDE those with the drama. And start looking, magic will pop up in the greatest places.
Create your Sunshine Life, without a year of bedrest. Slow Down. Be the Light. It’s the biggest reward you may ever give yourself. xoxo
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about the power of love over fear. As someone that has spent a good deal of my adult life working in Marketing and Advertising, it always stops me dead in my tracks when I see an interesting new marketing strategy. I stop, contemplate, assess, and my statistical mind goes crazy analyzing possible results, trends and outcomes. I get excited and love to see a new branding strategy, technique, or someone thinking “outside the box”.
It probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise to you that I’m frequently disappointed in the “end game” of advertisers. So many brilliant minds at work with so much opportunity to impact the world, and unfortunately, the trend is to build fear and tell us we are less. But, I feel like this is only the trend in the marketplace. I believe in the good of the human spirit. I believe that we all mean well. We just get a little lost, mixed up, confused.
Lately, I can’t help ponder this question:
What would the moral structure of our country look like if our brilliant advertisers, marketers, and product promoters promoted love first? What if they sold us products by reminding us to love ourselves for our exquisite perfection – rather than despise ourselves for our human qualities. What if we started promoting public service announcements displaying kindness, love, laughter, joy?
How would it change the mindset of the people? How would it change the dreams of our children?
What would become possible with a simple shift in the constant programming we receive? Yes, we can find positivity – but you have to make an effort. Which means that the people that choose to find love, peace, joy, usually do. If you look, you can find beautiful ideas, images, thoughts, for free on the internet and in the world around you.
But what if it never occurred to you to look? What if all you can do is breathe? Most households still spend many hours each week watching TV, what are the themes they are being exposed to? Last time I checked it was pretty challenging to find something uplifting to watch on network TV. Most shows are either SVU quality (i.e. glamorized rape and murder) or Reality based (i.e. let’s all make fun of someone and laugh at another’s weakness, insecurities, imperfections).
What does that do to the way we speak to ourselves? To the world we expect to see each day?
How quickly could we actually change the world if we changed our programming? Would you guess that Thailand is light years ahead of the U.S. here? Check out this commercial. I love it so much. I love it so very, very much. But mostly, I love the person that came up with the idea. I love the creative team that dared to dream. I love the person that spoke up and did something different. This concept probably started with someone being brave enough to risk rejection in exchange for something beautiful.
What do you think?
Today, commit to beauty. Commit to praise yourself. Allow yourself to love every person you meet especially those that are most unkind. But most of all, notice the little voice in your head when it tells you that you aren’t enough. And remind it that you are. You are a good person. You are perfection. You are love. You can change the world.
Create your sunshine life with Love. Tell Fear to piss off. We got this. And we have each others back. And life is so truly beautiful.
This morning I woke up a little…better. Head a little clearer, hope a little brighter. I’ve not been posting much as I had a really hard time with my last set back. Losing ground, at this point, was just more than I could bear. But all things pass. Today, I’m feeling a bit more Sunshine.
So as soon as the kids were out of the house, I started looking up Will Smith quotes and videos. I need to be pushed a little bit. OK, I need to be pushed a lot. Although I’m always in flux, I push to hard (i.e. sitting up for twenty minutes) and I’m sick for a week. But then I get … afraid to try. Afraid to make it worse.
So today. I’ll be Brave. (yes, I DID just read the Divergent trilogy. Later than the rest of the world but I just got my vision back! I read all 3 books in 4 days! So EVERYTHING in my mind goes back to factions).
Hold the vision. Hold the vision. Hold the vision.
If you are blessed enough to KNOW what you want. To really, really, know what would make you happy in this life, then DO it. What would give you joy every day, and make you feel as all your dreams are coming true?
I don’t really know anymore. Move to Bali or buy a house? Open a new art gallery or sell? LOL. I’m seriously all over the board. Kind of like Julia Roberts (Elizabeth Gilbert’s) husband in Eat, Pray, Love. Changing my mind every single day!! I think it’s time for change. I was thinking of the Steve Jobs Stanford speech when he talks about the series of seemingly unconnected life experiences that become the building blocks for greatness. So maybe that’s what it’s time for. Something fresh, new, and different.
Do you know? Do you know what you want the most? Not just more money, or more health. But the whole package. The Vision. The Dream.
Create your Sunshine Life. Start with the Vision of your own personal brand of Greatness.
Desperately seeking L.O.B. (life outside bed). Well, the surgery didn’t exactly go as planned. Back to 100% bedrest. Back to the beginning. It’s only been 4 months… And this go round, 2 full weeks in bed. It’s laughable really. You know how crazy you get not being able to get out of bed for 2 weeks?
Do you know what keeps me going? Miracles. I believe in miracles. I believe this is all a big lesson and we’ll laugh about it some day. I believe in hope. I believe in purpose.
I’m obsessed with Bali these days. 4 months of bed rest sure makes you ache for a vacation! I’m thinking about a year away from it all. A year to meditate, and experience life without boundaries. I guess everyone needs hope, something to dream about, look forward to. I suppose I’d have to be able to sit up before I could make the flight, but maybe that will be the miracle. Maybe I can find a medicine man to heal me in the sacred rivers and discover another way of life in the meanwhile.
OK, I was just in ICU for like 13 days. And I MAY have watched Eat, Pray, Love like 27 times. But still, you just never know what mysteries life is holding. Maybe we have to get really shaken up to get uncomfortable, to remember our life’s purpose. To remember, our unique gifts so we can truly change the world.
Maybe all that all of us really need is a good shake up out of our comfortable lives of mediocrity to remember to be something really great.
Keep the hope. Keep your dreams in laser focus. Meditate every day. Journal Every Day. Don’t lose focus, or hope. For that is the only way you’ll be able to make them all come true.
Create your Sunshine Life, with focus, and hope, and a good Shake Up every once in awhile.
Today is Saturday, Jan 18. (I think). Everything is working out for the highest good.
I have been here since Tuesday, 1/14 , I trust the process of life. In fact, life provides all that we need,
I am grateful for the sweet, smart, joyful staff that surrounds me. I have created a community of people to love and that love me,
Create your sunshine life by 0 CHOOSE to be healthy and free. I am Healthy. I am well. I’ll met you ther.
So, today I got turned on to Project AWOL. I can’t stop thinking about it.
A.W.O.L. stands for “Another way of Life”. It’s teaching people to work less and live more. To live on a laptop, and use Attraction Marketing to attract those that are looking for what you have, rather than begging people to buy what they don’t need.
I love it. I love the way the world is changing. I love the opportunities, the crazy changes in the world, the way people support and encourage each other. It makes me all tingly and giddy and excited.
I mean, it just feels like life should be vacations and laughter, good fun and sun tans. We deserve it, right? So why shouldn’t we be able to manifest crazy dreams to come true.
If you agree, you should watch this video. But please don’t bother if you’re happy exactly where you are and don’t want to travel. Because the “bug” is contagious, and you may just decide that you wouldn’t mind Another Way of Life.
See what I mean? How could you NOT love this? I may just have to Manifest tickets to Thailand soon…
What about you?
Create Your Sunshine Life…Today
This is a moment for Gratitude.
Make sure and steal those precious moments as you can. Life is a whirlwind of stress and obligations and laundry… make time to stop and find the gratitude.
We had a rough week last week, but buckled down and did what needed to be done. Changed dosages of our many herbal remedies, slept, detox baths, made bone broth, read plenty of new strategies, and prayed for patience!
But in a generous twist of life, the kids loved the bone broth, guzzled it down and asked for more. And today, we saw improvement. Slight at first, but any improvement is worthy of gratitude.
In fact, it makes my heart swell and sing.
What makes your heart sing?
I met new, like-minded friends. I witness the success of my teammates. I listened to mentors speak of the beauty of the Law of Attraction. Creating your life step-by-step. I was reminded how many people are doing it successfully, and living a joyful, abundant life.
Today is for gratitude. My heart is singing. I have more than I need.
Create your Sunshine Life… Today.